Briess Roasted Barley
|Grain Origin:||North America|
|Wort Color:||300 °Lovibond (800 EBC)|
Roasted, unmalted barley has a dry, coffee flavor with an intense bitterness and imparts deep brown color to wort that affects the foam color of the finished beer. The sharp flavor of roasted barley is characteristic of classic porters and stouts. But it can also be tempered with black or chocolate malts for milder results.
FLAVOR & COLOR CHARACTERISTICS
- Style: Roasted Barley (unmalted)
- Flavor: Coffee, intense bitter, dry
- Color: Deep brown
CHARACTERISTICS / APPLICATIONS
- Provides color and rich, sharp flavor which is characteristic of Stout and some Porters.
- May be used with Black Malt to brew a Stout with more color and less intense Roasted Barley flavor notes.
- Use Chocolate Malt or Black Malt in combination with Roasted Barley to obtain desired color.
- Impacts foam color
- 3-7 % contributes coffee flavor to Porter and Stout